View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Hi all -- I'd appreciate some input on a project I'm putting together. Since I'm new to the Camaro platform, I'd appreciate advice on this. I realize I'm a Camaro newbie, but the 1LE fixes all the issues that kept me from Camaro ownership. Thanks in advance for input on this...

Recently our last kid left for college. We are now spending half the year in Northern California and the other half in Austin, TX.

I have a car in NorCal that I use for 10-15 track events per year. I'm looking to put together something to keep in Austin. I want a high-performance car with roll cage, fire system, and a semi-stripped interior. My goal is to keep this naturally aspirated, with 500 to 550 horsepower and 475 to 500 lb-ft of torque. My goal is to have something fast but strong, that can be tracked without fatigue -- I want everything to be overbuilt for the use scenario. Lastly, I won't drive this a great deal on the road -- but I want to be able to drive it to the track, instead of being locked into having to trailer it. LS7, LS9, LSA etc. kits are legal and will pass smog testing.

ENGINE: At a friend's recommendation I contacted Katech. They build amazing stuff, but the package I like has a dry sump and won't accommodate an A/C compressor. They can create an engine that has both dry sump and A/C -- but the price jumps for that and is over what I'd like to pay on this project. Since it regularly hits 105 in Texas, the A/C is a must.

Cars in Austin must pass an OBDII smog test every two years. I'm wondering about some of the Chevrolet Performance LS3-based crate motors, and whether these might pass the smog test more easily than some of the alternatives?

SUSPENSION: My current car is about as stiff as you can get away with on the street, given how bad the roads are in NorCal. Whatever I build will need to be stiff and great on the track, but compliant enough for occasional street usage. I'm considering using Pfadt for the suspension, but would welcome suggestions for alternatives.

SAFETY: I am still working out details around the roll cage, fire system, etc.. I'd really appreciate any information on good folks to work with for a custom roll cage.

Lastly, I'm too tall for the stock street car. As part of the build the stock seats will go away anyway, so installing racing shells should fix the fit issue. At one point I was considering a Mustang Boss 302S -- but I am really not a Ford guy, and I also want to have something street-able instead of having a pure track car...

Thoughts?
ENGINE:
The problem with the GM crate engines is that engines not currently in production vehicles, like the LS376/525, are not built with smog testing in mind. The more aggressive engines may not pass smog testing, but it all depends on the setup. Having a big cam will not necessarily mean you wont pass smog. They are also not rated for a specific platform, so you power level will not be 525 horsepower when installed in a Camaro with all accessories, exhaust, intake, etc.

Like SnoopyAce7 said, there's a lot of stuff available from the GM parts bin. The parts on those engines are also available though Chevrolet performance parts, a head or cam package would be cheaper than the crate engine with said parts installed. As Most of those engines are just stock LS3s with cams/heads. If your looking for a dry sump system, GM has systems that will fit with LS engines. The C6 Grandsport LS3 comes equipped with a dry sump system. Its pretty likely that some of those parts made it onto the SSX concept. You may have to go with a smaller oil tank to make everything fit though.

SUSPENSION:
If you want it to remain a street car I would recommend not going with solid subframe mounts or high durometer bushings. But its all dependent on you preferences and how harsh you ride is. If you like the ride with solid mounts, go for it For brands, I would recommend both Pdfat and Pedders as both currently have products available for the FE5/FE6 Cars.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote