View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
bigdrew2008

Drives: 2007 Hyundai Sonata
Hello,

Crutchfield has an Amp Wire Sizing guide that lists the wire neccessary based on approximate draw from your amps. That guide is available here: http://www.crutchfield.com/Learn/lea...uge_chart.html

If your have a two Amp setup with one amp for speakers, 4 channel by 50 watts and a sub amp with 600 watts by 1 channel, you would calculate using the following method.

4 * 50 = 200
1 * 600 = 600
600 + 200 = 800
800/13.8 = 57.97 amps rounds to 60amps

I believe this means you would use a 60amp fuse and 8guage wire. I would however use 4 guage wire to be safe. If you find that your 60amp fuse keeps blowing, first check your system setup for shorts, then increase the amp size by 1 to the next largest amp size.

Cable is generally cable. The most important part is the guage of the wire. You want "oxygen-free" wire. If you are planning to re-wire the speakers as well, you will want twisted speaker wire as it helps to shield against interference running from your amp to your interior speakers. This interference isn't a big deal for short lengths of wire, i.e. amp to subwoofer.

I am by no means an expert, I am just trying my best to help with some information.
bigdrew2008 is offline   Reply With Quote