View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #1040
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...competent enhanced FE4...
FE4 with perhaps a Z51 competition package standard. This would be similar to the Corvette's Z51 package but some of the upgrades could be left off. The old Z51 package upgraded the transmission, brakes, shocks, suspension and many other things for about $1500. The F55 package (1st gen MRC) cost $1675, if the price is similar (I expect the MRC to be over $2000) then it could be an option. It would definitely make a competition Z28 pretty rare as most will unknowingly check the MRC box.

Here is something to think about as well, the LS7's TR6060 MM6 is rated exactly at the current Z06's torque rating at 470lb ft. That rating was achieved at 4000lbs so that leaves some room IF the Z28 stays below that weight. Also, the gear ratio's are pretty high... Using a 3.73 would work pretty well and would almost be necessary with the extra weight over the Z06. The 3.73s might affect the 1/4 mile times as if may force the car into an additional gear (ZL1 might do this) however, it will keep the car in the powerband on a road course. Here are the TR6060's MM6's gear ratios...
1st: 2.66
2nd: 1.78
3rd: 1.30
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.74
6th: 0.50

The 20 inch tire will of course slow the car down and if 19's were used, the transmission would have to be carefully tuned along with the final gear ratio. If 19's are used then 3.73s might not be necessary. As the transmission stands now, no modifications would be needed to use an LS7/MM6. I did my calculations on the MG9 in a 4152lbs ZL1 about 6 months ago which eventually lead me very close to the weight of the car (along with the part weights as well). Because the torque rating was initially rated at the CTS-V's 4250lbs at 560lb ft, I knew that Chevrolet would have to add some additional support (which they did; output shafts and rear housing). The final torque rating settled at 556lb ft and it kinda sucks they couldn't squeeze the MG9 in without reinforcement but, they would not have that problem with the proposed Z28 using an LS7/MM6 at or under 4000lbs.

This also means that there is currently no suitable option for an automatic Z28 but in my opinion, there shouldn't be one in a track car anyway. There is a downside though, not only is the LS7 more expensive than the LSA (about $4000 if I remember correctly) the Z06's MM6 and the ZR1's MH3 are the most expensive transmissions Chevrolet uses. The cost per transmission is almost double than the MG9 ($3500 vs. $6000). If nothing else from the FE4 SS is upgraded, we are looking at a $40,000 MSRP.

I have some other things to calculate but seeing as the engine and transmission are the most expensive additions, $40,000 is a very good starting point if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
If memory serves....the Camaro is doing quite well competing in sanctioned/recognized racing events...and there's no ZL1 OR Z28 model...I'd tend to believe both of these are tailored to the recreational racer...versus the professional one.

With regards to MR, since it was brought up - On a hypothetical Z28, I'd like to see it as an available option. Much like the GS Corvette offers.
The Camaro was doing well in Grand AM but, NASCAR helped Chevrolet a great deal during those races. Restrictions on the Camaro were completely removed while additional restrictions were placed on the Boss and M3. During that period, the Boss 302 was running only 40% of its 80mm intake (it was worse for BMW), after the 3rd race, restrictions were removed and the Camaro has been struggling to break the top 10 every since (see NJ's finals). It was rumored that Chevrolet was going to pull their entries from Grand Am GS as many of the drivers were in jeopardy of losing their ride at the time. Grand Am helped Chevrolet enough to bring them back into the points race but eventually, teams petitioned and had all restrictions removed and Stevenson sank back to 5th place overall.

As for SCCA, there hasn't been a Camaro in stock, touring, prep or modified that has been competitive since 2009. Camaro's are also prohibited in solo (autocross) due to weight and air bag deployment and I believe they had a win at Miller in the World Challenge. They have to get by Paul Brown and Jason von Kluge in GTS and that is difficult... They were doing well in Grand Am GT but GT cars are shadows of what they are stock. The Camaro requires a tube frame to drop its weight below 3300lbs as well as suspension work, team built engines and transmissions. Autohaus is very close to winning the championship this year.

A well rounded Camaro would be doing better in SCCA GTS and Grand Am GS if the cars had competitive suspension setups from the factory (No Camaro in FIA).

Last edited by thePill; 09-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote