View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #245
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Sounding real good. Its funny you got a Mantic clutch because I just did also from ECS but I got the ER2 single disk. I just finished the break in and it has gotten better. At first I was worried, it chattered a bit but that seems to have gone away and if I didn't dam near pop the clutch taking off every time it stunk real bad like I had been riding it out and burning it, but that too has mostly gone away. But the one thing that hasn't gone away is a bit of a grinding sound when it is in neutral. With my nowhere near scientific digital bath scale it says the single is about 8 lbs lighter. That 8 lbs also made a difference with take off, it was harder to get a smooth takeoff. But I learned that this can be adjusted with the tune, I didn't know that, and now is much better at takeoff. I also found out that the clutches come with throw out bearings but for a Vette not us Camaro guys. Would have been nice for ECS to let us know of that. i just reused my stock one.

Anyway great sounding and looking car, good job.
Yeah they sent the wrong release bearing in my kit too. I have zero problems with this clutch; I like it a LOT. Much better and easier to drive than the stock one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
Man you're about right there with a stock C6Z! I did 3162/440 = 7.18-1 P/W ratio. I'd rather have your car than a new C6Z too! I'd still have four seats and a muscle car, not sport/super car. Don't think I don't like sport cars either, I'm just all to the bone muscle guy!
Well I'd have to drop another 360 lbs out of the car to get down to a 7.18 P/W ratio and that's not going to happen. Even though I've only removed 142 lbs of static weight, I've put in the time and effort to remove the right kind of weight so the benefit is much greater than if I'd just removed 142 lbs of plain weight. And I'm with you on choice of cars; I'd much rather have the Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Doc -

Looking and sounding terrific !!

That Mantic clutch is awesome... ( nice case too - a very complete kit)

Thanks for documenting all weight savings, cam change info and power to weight ratios. All very cool and helpful stuff for so many...
I couldn't be happier with this clutch. It makes the stock clutch feel like a truck clutch by comparison. The engagement is very clean and precise; no sudden grab. Thanks for the compliments and it's my pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Have not checked your build in a while just want to say I'm really impressed with the weight savings. I'm going this route too and the info really helps. Love the Mantic.
If you could drive my car compared to a stock one you'd be amazed at the difference; and not just in the power, but how it responds. I looked at all the clutches and flywheels I could find out there and I chose the Mantic because of their design, philosophy of design, and the fact their flywheel/clutch combo is SFI certified. A lot of lighter flywheels aren't; especially aluminum ones. It was more expensive than some and not as expensive as others, but so far I'm VERY impressed with it. I'm still in the break-in period but already it's clearly superior to the stock setup.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote