View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Anyone with the original '11 cover with plastic clips should get it replaced with the '12 version with bungee cords. The original clips snapped downward over the posts, and easily popped up under high speed and windy conditions. The clips are also very thin and wear out over time. There are several discussions on the risk and liability of a cover blowing off into highway traffic. I found during the redesign of my clips, that the originals were not always sewn straight on the cover so they lined up with the posts. Mine were misaligned by more than an inch. This caused the clips to pull inward from the post even sitting still. I also learned that the original clip design intent allowed the cover to "disengage" from the posts should the driver try raising the top with the cover still installed. This would avoid damage to both the top and the cover. Obviously, this was cheaper than a safety cut-off switch for an installed cover.
My concern for the '12 solution was the fact that bungee cords wear out rather quickly, especially when exposed to heat and sunlight. The nice thing about Cruuzin LV's solution is they can be easily changed (not so with GM's solution).

I have '12 with the GM bungie's and the added protection of two more bungies that I added using my eyelet method. So I'm using 4 bungies and it doesnt pop up in the middle or flap at all.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote