View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #63
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcfwu View Post
Wow, Corvette sold 900+. That's pretty good. As for Camaro, that is impressive. Consider the current economic outlook being gloomy, it shows that the pony car segment has a strong following. Second, the basic steady upward trend is also encouraging, but one does have to wonder how long that can last. Third, I do expect Mustang to drop as we get closer to the cutoff between the current generation and the 2014 next gen.

Charger is worrisome. There doesn't seem to be enough following for their product line.
There would be if they could do 3 things, bring performance up to par with Camaro/Mustang in all 3 trims, keep the prices where they are or lower them for the top trim, increase mileage in bottom trim. I would have bought the Challenger if the price/performance ratio had been anywhere near the Camaro SS. I had already fallen in love with the 1970 Cuda, and since I figured I wouldn't get my hands on one of those for decades, the 2008 Challenger was the next best thing. So I started saving up for that, but then I started researching the competition and the Camaro won hands down. I started to love the styling after the performance specs already won me over. And to be honest, I feel like there have to be a lot of people out there with similar stories that were pulled away from other cars that they'd typically have bought. That could've been the Challenger's story, but GM did it right the first time. Grant it, at the time the Mustang GT was only pushing an anemic 300 HP motor so even with the weight, the Challenger RT's 350 HP (for 2009 model) engine could beat the Mustang. But the Camaro's 426 HP and 200 lbs less weight was too strong of a selling point for me. Then it came to a close fight between the Mustang and Camaro for 2011, but looks won me over even though the Mustang's solid rear axle reduces drive train loss and the car is lighter, the Camaro just looks better in my opinion, and probably handles much better for everyday driving too.