View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #181
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Really..in my mind..it's the way it is. I can try and educate people all day long. If you will only spend $600 on headers...then some moral talk won't convince you to spend $1100 or whatever. I am continually pushing to the vendors like Kooks, that the only way to fight this issue is compete. If someone is willing to pay $600 for a low quality chinese Kooks header..why not look at offering it yourself rather than letting someone else make money off of your design. Be honest about what it is, what customers should expect from it, and give it limited warranty and support. The knock offs sure lose their appeal when you can get something at the same price point from Kooks. This is the same reason you can buy a mexican Fender strat. The guitar market got overrun buy japanese knock offs 30 years ago, and that was the only way to compete.

That being said, for a company like Kooks, that made a huge investment in north american manufactuering capacity two years ago..that would also be a huge risk.
That's what I was saying, OBX and company's like it exist ONLY because there is a void in the market place for it. If Kooks and AHR filled that void OBX wouldn't stand a chance.
Guitars is a good analogy, Gibson builds American made les pauls that range in price from $700 - $10,000, something for everyone.