View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #80
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
As for electric A/C, run the numbers and see how much electric power would be required, how much bigger a battery you might need and how much bigger an alternator would be required. In the end, EPS is a benefit over Hydraulic. And BMW (maybe you didn't know this) doesn't allow the alternator to charge the battery until absolutely necessary to legally game the EPA Cycle. So engine load can be and is often a big deal. But electric A/C needs power as well and it's not free. So from a cost benefit, mass benefit, is it still a viable solution? The Volt has a huge battery to store this energy. And using the electric heat or A/C has an effect on the range and it can be a big effect depending on if it's very hot or very cold.

And yes, air conditioning is considered in the EPA Schedule.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
I had heard that the EPA figured A/C usage into the final figures but didn't know the duration of the test. The duration is the same as high speed driving is and is simulated at 95 degree outside temperature. There should be no reason that test should be figured into the finale rating and judging from the curves, it is killing the rating.

Off topic: I view A/C as a big problem even more since the EPA began testing. We started doing figures on a EAC mid-2010 and based on the ridiculous current AC BTU's autos use now (10k-20k)the size of the alternator needs to be well over 200 amps and a capacitor is needed but its work in progress... There was a news paper article on it in Illinois but I never received a scan of the clipping, it was suppose to be called Mobile Central Air... Pam Schmalenberg should have written the article...

I also have a "Cool Air" System on paper, it works from exhaust gases like a turbo, doing the pressurizing and heating but it already has theoretical drawbacks (no clutch based disengagement). Both of my arguments are based on the fact that the traditional automotive A/C unit can cool a 1500sq ft home, there is no need for that so reducing the output would be in order. If I base either of my systems off a 5000 BTU standard, the EAC can be done with a current battery and a 125 amp alternator at 14-15 volts... The "Cool Air" Turbo needs some sort of disengagement but I am out of ideas... for now...

Back on topic:
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote