View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #36
niterat

Drives: ZLI IOM Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Sorry, not going to get much sympathy from me. You bought a 60K+ car and didn't know the full specs until after you made the purchase. I'd say that is more a you problem than a GM problem. And look...I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I did a similar thing when I bought my first Camaro convertible. I bought an '11 2SS automatic and didn't realize until I got it home that the automatic had a different engine and exhaust package than the manual. I kicked myself in the butt for not doing the proper research prior to purchasing the car and when the opportunity came a knocking I traded it in for a '12 2SS manual. I chalked it up to one of life's big lessons and will never make that mistake again.

And for everyone complaining about the lack of performance modes, belly pan and 155 mph speed limit -- every product has design trade offs. The speed limit is there because of the canvas top. It's not certified to withstand speeds greater than 155 mph. As a result of the speed limit, the belly pan is not necessary so Chevy saved a few pounds on a car already heavier than the coupe by not including it. As for the performance modes, they're meant for the track. Most tracks I know won't let a convertible anywhere near them without some form of roll protection. So unless you're all planning to add a roll cage to your vert, you probably won't be tracking your car much. Had Chevy cut the HP by 20 or eliminated the MRC on the convertible, then I think we would all have a legitimate complaint. The design trade-offs they made on the ZL1 convertible seem pretty reasonable to me. Enjoy the car for what it is -- a wickedly fast, great looking and a hell of a lot fun to drive (especially with the top down) beast.
I have to completely disagree on every point. When I bought my 60k car, no where would you find these disclosures about the differences between the convertible and the coupe aside from the weight. The dealer didn't know, I asked. Even the owners manual was silent and got revised long after my sale. I shouldn't have to be a detective or a lawyer about this. GM was not upfront - period. As for all the excuses why they did what they did, it is all about money, their money. Not certified above 155mph? Why not? Some scientific limit for ragtops at that speed? Of course not. You can engineer, and certify anything - just a matter of cost. They didn't bother because they wanted to cut cost, increase profit. The belly pan? it was in the way of the added stiffeners, that's why it was eliminated. As I look at it, a few simple mods to the pan and it will fit right in. Again, GM didn't want to bother between cost and deadlines. Easier to just eliminate it. Bottom line is GM was far from up front and I think they should be called out for rather than protected and excused. If you were less than forthcoming at your job would it be tolerated? Why do make excuses for GM? Why should they be accountable like the rest of us? Just because I love my car and have all kinds of Chevy stuff doesn't mean I pretend they never do wrong. I don't need your sympathy, but I also don't need your smug excuse making and blaming me for GM's poor handling. Had they been forthright about the differences then I would agree that I have nothing to complain about. The fact that they weren't is the whole reason for this thread, and my complaint.
niterat is offline   Reply With Quote