View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
The downfall of Detroit auto makers is a combination of things; only one small part is regulation. Most of Detroit’s problems are of their own making. Years of poor quality, putting all your eggs in one basket (high margin SUV’s) agreeing to bad contracts with the UAW, and making too many brands that compete directly with each other.

Why is it that everyone else can succeed in North America except GM, Ford and Chrysler? They all have to follow the same regulations. This is why the $50 billion buyout that the once big 3 are asking for pisses me off to no end. If you can’t run your business properly you file for bankruptcy and try again. Now I do think legislators could make some changes allowing GM to close dealerships they don’t need anymore or close brands without as much cost. Other than Chevrolet and Cadillac what else does GM really need? Buick is worthless as is Pontiac. They have maybe two cars between the brands that are worth anything. GMC is just rebadged Chevy’s. Saab? Worthless. Saturn? Competes directly with Chevy. Hummer? Its already dead.
the uaw situation plays a huge part...and that is something that toyota and lexus don't have