View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Today's Project: Brembo upgrade

It was a long fun day.

Here are some pics.

A few notes:

1) I used the bill of materials (BOM - aka parts list) for the GMPP V6 to Brembo upgrade kit. I bought all of those parts with the exception of the lines, brake pads and rotors. I also rebuilt the calipers (pistons, seals, dust boots, cross over tubes and bleeder valves).

2) The upgrade parts included 32mm axle nuts (for swapping in the SS rear dust shields). The existing nuts on my 2LT were 36mm . Trip to Autozone required for additional socket.

3) The GM supplied smaller front caliper replacement dust boots for the SS Brembos didn't fit the smaller pistons. Luckily I kept the old dust boots.

4) The Motive air pressure bleeder was very useful. It saved a lot of time. I added some pressure fittings so I didn't have to fill it's reservoir with brake fluid. This makes clean-up much easier also.

5) Clean the knuckle surface of any old Loctite or debris. Also make sure the caliper mounting surface is clean and smooth as well.

6) The replacement caliper bolts come with an excessive amount of red Loctite. Clean some of it out of the threads before installing.

Items 5 & 6 are important otherwise the caliper may be out of alignment when you tighten the bolts per spec.

Special thanks to:

a) Sean Higdon (Dr. Wrench) for taking a good portion of his Sunday using his ASE mechanic skills to make this much easier
b) All the brake contributors on Camaro5. I learned a lot from you. (Justice Pete - thanks for the Castrol SRF recommendation)
c) Mike the Powder Coater for the awesome job (and for putting up with me)!
d) Sleez for supplying many of the parts
e) GoodRidge for making their stainless lines so easy to install
f) Hawk for great stopping, quiet pads (HPS)
g) DBA for very nice rotors (4000 series). L & R markings were very useful!
h) Racing brake for supplying replacement cross over tubes and bleeder valves.
i) Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet for supplying so many required parts!

I highly recommend this mod!
Attached Images

Last edited by intensifi; 03-24-2014 at 12:04 AM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote