View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Shifting into 1st VERY notchy with short throw

Want to see if anyone else is experiencing difficulty shifting into first. My scenario is this, I have a Barton Short Throw and when I am on the highway and have to slow down to a stop for a traffic light or any other time I am slowing down and going to throw it all the way down to 1st it requires A LOT of effort to get it into gear before the car comes to a complete stop. I mean I have to jam it up there and it is notchy on the way up. If I am at a dead stop it goes in with less effort but is still a bit notchy.

A secondary issue is the 1st to 2nd gear shift is still very notchy even after having had the Barton for 5-6 months and fast 1-2 shifts are sometimes missed because the stick gets "hung up" on the notch if I am not paying attention and slam it into the gear. 2-3 and 3-4, etc, etc, are fine and very smooth but the two scenarios I describe here have me considering either going back to the stock shifter or looking at replacing the entire assembly with an MGW.

I am not blaming the Barton here but need to point out that I have an aftermarket shifter and I know lots of folks have good feedback on the Barton and I do for the most part as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote