View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Unhappy Starting to Consider Selling my Camaro...

EDIT: i've decided not to sell my camaro, and we will wait to get my wife a new car until her current one reaches 100,000 miles.

Since i could remember, i've always wanted a Corvette... when the new Camaro came out i felt like i HAD to have it cuz it was new, cool, and the closest thing to a corvette i can get for my age and income. the first 6 months, it was great! the car was a major head turner and i was the only Camaro on the road. as they build more and more, i started to see them on the streets more and more. to date, i can say i see at least 5 or 6 new camaros on the roads everyday! that is A LOT! the car is no longer "exclusive", it doesn't really get that head turning reaction anymore unless i stomp on the gas, and it only gets driven 50 miles a week. (Note, that i said AFTER i bought the car it felt exclusive and was a head turner, i do not state i bought it because it was exclusive and a head turner).

My wife and I have been discussing it for a few weeks now, she wants a new 2011 SRX, but we cannot afford 3 new car payments. the other day, i said to her, "what if we sold your car and the Camaro for the new SRX?" she looked at me like i was crazy saying, "if we did that you would resent me for the rest of our lives because you love that car." yes, i do love the car BUT it is... JUST a car.

IF, and that is a REALLY BIG IF, i went through with selling the Camaro, i will not accept less than $35k for it, might start out asking $37k. its fully loaded 2SS/RS with $5k in mods. i sat down last night and crunched all the numbers... if i sold it right now for $35k, trade in my wife's car and got the SRX she wants, we would actually be saving $600 per month in car payments, insurance, and fuel. i can either apply that money to pay off student loans and car payments faster and actually save enough in finance charges to where i would not be losing any of the money i put into the car, including monthly payments. it would be like i never spent money on a sports car once i pay off my debts.

or we could save that extra cash and save up for a down payment on a house once i'm in a permanent location with my job in a year and a half. i figured with that extra savings, plus saving part of my bonuses, we could have about $25k for a down payment by summer 2012.

well, that's my rant, i've really had a "come to Jesus" moment with owning her. i love the car, but a few years from now when i'm debt free and have a house, i should be able to pay cash for that Corvette i've always wanted!

i'm not really looking for a poll on if i should sell the car or not, that would be too typical for a forum. and please don't bash me, bash Dave Ramsey for this predicament!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 12-16-2010 at 10:38 AM.
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote