View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #37
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjarzabek009 View Post
The people that do trade in for a v8 have a boat load of excuses to justify that they didn't get financially fisted when in reality they did, lol.
I'm not certain about the "excuses" part, but your statement definitely holds water.

There are very few threads I've read on this forum where anyone has openly admitted to taking a "financial bath" by trading up from an LS/LT to an SS.

Heck, My 2LT RS 'vert is 9 months old and paid off and has only 2,400 miles on her. If I were to trade up to a 2012 2SS RS 'vert, it would cost me approx. $15k, given the current trade-in value of my 9 month old 2011 'vert is approx. $26-$28k.

There's no way in hell people are even "breaking even" - let alone getting ahead - by trading up - even if their Camaro is paid off. Lowering one's monthly payments via the trade-up is, with all likelihood, due to a better interest rate than the original loan and having SOME equity in the old Camaro. Either the loan pay-off of their 1st Camaro is rolled over into the new, (lower interest?) loan or they're receiving less in trade-in value than the original selling price if the car is paid off - because it has depreciated. Making payments on 2 Camaros for a total of 7 or 8 years is still a mega loss. I'm not a financial wiz, but the simple fact is, folks are just extending their payment plan toward owning a Camaro.

Nothing wrong with any of that. To each his own, but it is wise to "live within one's means".

Lots of threads about the "cost of trading up".
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 05-05-2012 at 05:37 PM.