View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #24
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
I think there are a number of advantages when modding the the L99, especially with VVT cams, mild-wild. The L99 trans has some aggressive gear ratios, for instance, 4th gear is ~1.2x3.27=~3.92; that's 1LE territory.

I'm also looking at a cam change as my next significant engine mod, but the Camaro will be set-up for road courses, including FE3-FE4 suspension with ZL1 spec sways.

Since I'll be getting into the engine, going to 4.00" stroke (416ci) seems reasonable for my goals. Using Cordes in Mesa as a builder, will be using Ed Curtis to spec a billet core Lunati VVT camshaft, plus a Circle D single disc converter specified to my goals.

When built, this engine will easily make 500rwhp, but there's more with a VVT cam. Being able to advance low rpm timing increases low end power, same is true when retarding top end rpms. What is significant here is the amount of HP gains after peak HP has been reached. One article I read stated 41hp gain after peak HP, there's a lot more HP gains after peak with a VVT cam compared to LS3 designs.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote