View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #35
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopjack View Post
One of the major trim differences is the leather seats anyhow, and those would likely be replaced with something racier.

I understand the readiness of the LS7 as a N/A option that could be available, and I think it would be a fine option if it were built. However, I don't think it is "Old School" style or particularly sensitive to the heritage of the Z/28. It's not an engine that is particularly "Z". Instead, it would historically represent a different Camaro. 427 ci is not historically a classic Z/28 displacement.

The original Z/28, correct me if I am wrong, had the smallest displacement V8 in the 1st Generation lineup - 302 was it? In that respect an engine that would be more representative of what the orignal Z/28 featured would be a lot smaller while maintaining punch. What you want is an engine like this one:

Its a dry-sump V8 displacing 4.5 liters (270 ci), which is not a lot. It also produces 562 bhp and redlines at 9,000 rpm, and both of those are a lot. It has continuously variable timing and direct injection. I am not suggesting this exact engine should be used, but merely something like it - it is, after all a race-bred, high revving, low-displacement, high output V8, which is very much in line with what a modern interpretation of the original Z/28 engine should be. The problem is, nothing like it is currently available from GM.
The CI was dictated by the SCCA not GM, and I believe the SCCA let it grow to 5.7 liters in 1970(?). That being said the Z28 was a track based car which necessitates a high-revving race-inspired engine, hence the already available LS7 fits the bill perfectly. The LS7 is derived from the LeMans winning Corvette. What better engine is already available to build into the Z28???
Also speaking of heritage the 60's based 427 was a BB a very different animal from today's LS7 SB.

Also the LS7 being built in larger quantities should allow for a price reduction.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote