View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #33
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
The functionality is there because we can call OnStar and get 99% of this done. The remote start from our Key Fob, is done through software too. Upgrading the OnStar firmware to work with this software should not be a big deal.

The argument is that OnStar/GM would not have held this information when selling the 2010 models is pathetically naive. Developing a software like this can take well over a year, and by the time Spring 2010 rolled around, SAT testing should have already started, so that means the app was already written.

My point is that GM had to know they were going to produce this software almost by the time they released info on the 2011 models having HUD.

I bought my car in the spring time, so I am a little ticked that I won't be able to make use of this app. Will I live w/o it? Ofcourse, but in the tech world, innovation and adaptability work hand in hand. Otherwise IBM and Apple would have never become successful again. Their inability to adapt in the late 80s early 90s is what killed them, before making their comeback.

Do I blame GM entirely for this? No, I am laying the blame at OnStar and hold GM irresponsible for poor oversight of a simple software development project.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable