View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Hey bcperry,

As Speedster said, I have a TT build, and I am harcore trying to keep the manual transmission.

Boost loss on shifts, yes, it's there... but it's manageable for the most part and there are ways to defeat it if it becomes too bothersome...

Off the line, no issue, just step on the gas a little more until you figure out the limits of traction....

1st to second... happens really quickly... It's by nature a pretty quick easy shift... but unless you have electronic controllers, you will have to lift, so you will loose some boost... the thing here is the gearing is still low enough hat you'll wind up so quickly that you'll not really notice it... maybe after a hundred passes and time has slowed down to the point you no longer have the big eyes, you'll notice it...

2nd to 3rd... This shift typically takes a little bit longer, so you'll notice the boost loss a little bit more... So much of this is dependant on the type of TT system you have. Where the turbos are mounted... The closer to the exhaust manifold, the better off you are...

3rd to 4th... This is where you'll notice it the most on the race track, and unfortunately where it is most critical... The vast majority of acceleration takes place in the first 1/8th mile... the flip side is that Turbo's love a load... so, get through the gears and into 4th gear and let them work... The car will reward you.

If your doing mile runs such as the Texas mile, my first big goal, then you will really notice the boost loss going from 4th to 5th.. The gear change is pretty dramatic and when you step back in it, it takes a little bit of time to spool them back up... but holy moly when it does....

I was told a long time ago that really hard long pulls in upper gears are hard on the drive train... I now know why... To have the front end of a 4000 + lb car lift.... HARD in 4th and 5th gear is quite amazing... My car in 4th gear will lag for just a moment in time, and then you literally feel the front end lifting from the acceleration...it set you in the seat and keeps you pinned... It's actually quite awe inspiring...

Now, the bonus to this boost loss at each shift is it allows you time to set the tires and minimize wheel spin...

If wheel spin isn't an issue, then there are electronic box's that will allow you to perform no lift shifts... I'm not terribly familiar with them so I'll let someone else elaborate on those...

How much different is my car with the turbo's...

I used to shift into 4th gear, or red line third gear at the finish line of the quarter mile....in around 13 seconds at 112-113 mph... My best time ever stock was a 12.71 at 113 mph, and I lost... to a 12.69 at 108... Dang automatic point and shoot cars...

Now....

We launched the car very very easy due to being on the stock differential, ( a 2.55 60 ft...) and I was shifting into 4th gear at 115 mph just past the 1/8th mile, and went 11.51 at 131.9... This car is capable of much much faster 60 foot times, and consequently much much faster times and speeds at the end of the track...

Don't be afraid of the boost loss in a manual trans car... It can be managed... and when I step on the gas at 110 mph and the car drifts the back end out to the right and the tires start smoking... without the use of the clutch... no dumping it with the motor wound up... in gear, clutch fully engaged, roll into the throttle and hang on... Woo Hoo...

:re spekt: soon
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote