Thread: CAI Ignorance
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickToTheJunk View Post
I'm doing the Vararam (v6)( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161776 ) (ignore the 9 minute install crap - no DIY'r who cares about their car is worried about a 10 minute install).

I like the way the VR intake design is. The idea of pulling air from the grill and forcing it into the intake, then having the MAF sensor at the head of the intake tube (colder) and having more of a straight shot to the Throttle Body with a minimal of a bend as possible ---- seems like the best design.

The install is more intense and you have to modify the two radiator mounts (watch videos). I don't have a band saw (only saw I don't have) but pretty confident I can do this with a dremel or jig saw and a vice with accuracy.

If I wanted an airbox replacement - I'd go with the C.A.I. brand.

Some brands require washer bottle relocation/replacement and some do not. The BBK seems like it'd fit right next to it.

I'm looking for maximum performance and efficiency over aesthetics. I've seen where the VR deepens your stock exhaust note as well. Maybe not on idle so much, but down the road.

Oiled is better since it's cleanable, re-useable and rechargeable (with filter oil). A recharge kit runs around $15 or less for cleaner and oil. Supposed to last 50k miles without a recharge - but I'm sure that's subjective to conditions driven.

I'm a noob to, so.... I could be wrong on many counts. Been researching this for a couple weeks. As well as the catch-can and the clutch reservior mod (already in progress).

Actually I'd say your description is spot on. I love my Vararam...the power and sound improvement were noticeable over my AirRaid. But it does require more maintenance for a few reasons. 1)...you really should monitor the VR intake after each drive for the first several drives until you are confident the intake is not closing up the air gap. But if you find it is not moving, then you are good to go. Also, since it is more of a straight through design, the filter will likely require cleaning more often than a traditional intake box would.

Cutting the brackets isn't hard, just takes time and you need to make sure you cut low enough the first time...I didn't and it caused my intake to move a bit after driving (what I mentioned earlier) so I cut them even lower and it seemed to help.

...one last note...hopefully they have improved but I thought the instructions that came with it sucked.

Otherwise, C.A.I. and Roto-fab seem to be good choices.