View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #35
CyberGamaro

Drives: BLK 13 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
You don't have to believe me when they don't set pricing yet, but at least follow the logic.

Let's say you're a seat designer. First, you draw it on paper. After you do this, you've got to get a computer and some software to professionally draw out your design. Pick out your fabrics. It doesn't really matter how many pieces you buy because the manufacturer has a fixed overhead and should make at least a small profit. Don't forget to offer a couple of different varieties for people who want other interior colors. Most manufacturers offer around 3. Keep in mind that you'll also need to fit those seats to the car, so you need to design some bolts for the floor. You'll need a manual and a power version. The power version has at least a couple of different manufacturers involved because the moving parts have to be made by a company that specializes in that. Make sure to also consider heated seats in the design and to let them know how much you expect to order. That brings me to market research. You'll need to pay for that. Make sure to budget for technical issues along the way and to record all the hours you worked. How much did all of that cost?

That's just one team. There's a whole league of teams working on the Camaro, and all of their costs result in a baseline. After doing some additional research, Chevrolet can estimate how many of a certain package may sell and figure out the balance between price and volume. Does all that make sense?

wow, well when you put it way it perfectly makes sense...I hope the guys at GM don't lose the streak they're on, I'd be loosing my mind right now
4200 Status
CyberGamaro is offline   Reply With Quote