View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #12
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Doing it because you can get away with it is not the same as being compelled to do it, such as in the case of gambling (which I brought up in my earlier post, possibly the worst example I could have picked). I am not saying that these people don't have a problem, because they do have one. Its just that their problem is mostly their attitude rather than a legitimat addiction.
See I think that's where you're confused. They're not playing a game of truth or dare at the office just to see if they can get away with it. They are being "compelled" because they're always thinking about sex or nude women. It's not because they want to think about it, rather it brings them to a place of temporary satisfaction-- self gratification. Once satisfied, they'll log off the adult website and carry on with their life. It's "lust" in simple terms. They can't walk down the street without visually raping every attractive female they encounter. One's never enough.

Gambling is similar. Gamblers always assume that the next roll of the dice or pull of the handle will be the big payoff. It's replayed over and over in their mind and they believe it. But why do they do it? Certainly not because they can get away with it, otherwise they would have stopped long before they lost their house, wife and car. They're hooked- no chemicals needed.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote