View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
My first thought is that organized sports would also produce these results.
Aggression model studies are like police sobriety tests. They are designed to confirm the hypothesis. So, yeah, you're right. If you stick a bunch of boys in a room with a punch bag after an hour of mortal combat it should be no surprise what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I was talking about gaming as a culture, not just digital/video gaming but role playing and card/board games also.

I was just curious to get your thoughts on your own questions.
Gaming is a culture for sure. Being that we're having this discussion on Camaro5 I think we can all appreciate this point: businesses that make a culture out of buying their products are the most successful. Not very many people buy a Camaro because they just need a car, they buy it to partake in the cultural symbols of the Camaro. The burnout, the loud exhaust, the looks, the mustang stop light confrontation, et cetera ad nauseum.

Think about how gaming constructs YOU as a cultural actor. Are you console loyal? Game franchise loyal? Why? Because those consoles and games appeal to us such that we construct ourselves as being a part of a group or culture. I personally, don't have very many gaming cultural artifacts (though I'd love to have that GoW lancer hanging on my wall), but I'm a recently converted playstation loyalist and my TV looks like a shrine to gaming. One thing, though, that prevents a true acceptance of gaming as a cultural practice is the current mainstream perception of gaming. It is seen as a break/distraction from society rather than a social process. For this reason many of us adopt the hush-hush gaming identity where it becomes a closeted act that we keep to ourselves or a small group of personal friends.

Camaros are an accepted mainstream American cultural practice though, so we don't need to hide it. Consider how loudly you display Camaro ideologies vs how comparably quietly you display gaming ideologies. Don't know about y'all, but my Camaro5 tshirt is in weekly rotation.

Last edited by 6bangerBOOM; 11-16-2013 at 04:42 PM.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote