View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Have you ever run in an auto cross event? Typically you get several runs. Meaning its 3.5 hours, assuming you start on time. 50 cars in the session. Now that's A LOT! I don't know what kind of track they are setting up... Speed or handling. There is a difference. Most events are set up for handling so the Miata would destroy the 5th gen. Now if they set up a speed track (bad idea with a lot of novice drivers) it could get interesting.

Let's just say they set up an average track that takes 45 seconds to go around. (that's a pretty good track). That's .75 minutes so in 210 minutes, that's 280 runs. Times two cars is 560 runs possible in 3.5 hours. So at 50 cars you could potentially squeeze 10 runs per driver. That's a TON. Most events I've run in are 5-6 but that's when the day is split in 3 sessions, not 2. That's if all runs smooth, which it won't. Never does.

I'd say drives need to be there the full time. You guys will have fun, just don't set up too "fast" of a track. People with way more balls than talent will end up smashing up something.

Hey, were you looking at my calculator???????

This, I believe, will be a "handling" track with a dash of speed. Definately not a triple digit road course.

These types of courses can really teach you what a car is capable of doing. It's also very taxing on the mind believe it or not. Roll in, roll out, late brake, slides, tire squeal, brake fade and on and on and on.

All the while your jaw is aching and you can't figure out why..... Permagrin

It feels like your lap lasted forever.....

It's only been 1 minute.....

You're faster than somebody.....