View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
How I hid my evap solenoid

The evap solenoid is mounted on the front of the passenger side head. It has an electrical connection and two hoses, one from the drivers sidefront of th intake manifold near the throttle body and the other is next to the fuel line on the passenger side.

Unplug the wire and two hoses and remove the bolt and you end up with this

Bend this tab up and you can slide the solenoid off the bracket. I did this to drill another hole in the bracket closer to the end.

Open the fuse box cover and remove it. You will see three hex head screws. Of the two side by side loosen the left one. These screws hold connectors to the top of the box, not the box to the car.

With a small flat blade screwdriver release four tabs on the side of the fuse box and carefully remove the top of the fuse box. One square black connector should stay in the bottom of the box from the hex head screw loosened earlier. Move the top of the fuse box to the right being carefull of the wire bundles. The single connector left behind can now be repositioned toward rear.

Now you will see the single bolt that holds the bottom of the fuse box in.

Remove the bolt and the bottom of the fuse box will lift right out.

That bolt is an M8-1.25. You will need an M8-1.25 x 40, a couple of washers and a nut to fit.

Cut a slot in the threaded end of the bolt, but have the nut on first so it will clean the threads when you remove it. Take the bolt put a washer on it and push the bolt through the new hole in the bracket. The whole thing goes under the fuse box mount from the front. Once you get the bolt lined up with the weld nut on the panel, use a small screwdriver to screw it up so the fuse box can be bolted to it. This is what the slot is cut in the bolt for. I found it to hard to start the bolt from underneath.

Now that the solenoid is in place you can extend the wire and hoses.

For the wire you will have to open the bundle and get as much of the two conductors as free as possible. Be careful and deliberate, you don't want to cut or damage any wires. I call the top nipple on the solenoid the one next to the electrical connection, it is black, the bottom one is gray. The connector hose from the intake manifold does a u turn. I cut that off about four inches after the bend and slipped a 5/16 fuel hose over it and ran it under the throttle body to the new location. It goes to the gray bottom nipple also using the original connector cut down to about three inches.

The hose from near the fuel supply is in a u shape and needs to be straightened out without kinking. Cut the metal tube as close to the first bend as possible, run it under the ABS module and connect it with 5/16 hose. I did not use the factory connector as it has a 45 degree bend and the hose comes straight in.

From underneath, tighten the bolt that holds the solenoid bracket. Now you can replace the bottom the fuse box, put a washer and nut on the new stud and tighten down the fuse box base.

The rest goes back together opposite of the way it came apart.
Here are the wire and hoses going under the fuse box.

In this picture you can see the hose from near the fuel supply going under the the ABS.

Sorry I didn't take more pictures, but I will answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by PAUL SS; 02-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.
PAUL SS is offline   Reply With Quote