View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
shines

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Hellion Twin Turbo Kit Review

It has been about a month since I installed the Hellion TT kit on my car and I've worked out the kinks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the kit.

I was switching from a Whipple with headers to the twin turbos, so the installation was not typical and many of their instructions did not apply or needed to be tweaked. This is where Hellion shined, they were always quick to answer the tech support line and had answers for my questions.

There seemed to be a bit of a disconnected between Turbonetics and Hellion as some bolts supplied by Hellion didn't fit the holes tapped in the turbo chargers. Not a big deal, a quick trip to Ace hardware and I had what I needed.

When I first started the car it smoked pretty badly, which ultimately turned out to be caused by the high volume oil pump in my Livernois built 419 motor. This was a confusing issue as Turbonetics said not to restrict oil flow to the turbos, while Hellion said restriction was needed. Ultimately I went down to a 0.035" restrictor and the smoking stopped. Hellion designed this kit for a stock Camaro, but they were kind enough to send a new restrictor assembly free of charge to resolve my issues.

The car now runs great and the torque from these twins at the same boost level as my Whipple is MUCH stronger. It's a completely different car to drive and is exactly what I wanted. The turbo power band allows the car to get rolling a bit before the power comes in, so traction is not as much of a problem as it was with the Whipple. Also, the IAT's are much lower than they were with the SC.

The one thing I do not like about the Hellion kit is the location of the intake air filters, so I'm taking the car to Extreme fabrication in Jacksonville FL to have cold air pipes made.

All in all I'm pleased and Hellion is a reliable company I recommend to anyone.
shines is offline   Reply With Quote