View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #31
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Ok. Just talked to them. Kinda funny. She said she got a call from GM technical assistance and first of all, she they 'heard' , that my car was running better. They told her that there was another case here in Alabama that basicaly needed a computer reset. (Hmmmmmmm, wonder who that was? ) And that they were to get my car back in and do the reset, but wondered why my car was running better.

I told her that I pulled the number 5 and 20 fuses and let it sit, yada yada yada, and she started laughing. She said that what I basicaly did is what they were supposed to do according to GM thecnical assistance. (Of course they wouldn't pull the fuses but reset it another way) They have discovered that even a gallon of low OR MID-GRADE fuel will cause this. They have mid-grade fuel at the dealers for PDI purposes and they allway put 3 gallons in new cars when they get them. (Bay Chevrolet)This is what happened. So I asked about my concern of why the computer didn't adjust after 6000 miles of 93 in it. She said "It won't adjust, you have to bring it to the dealer to have it reset". Or of course, pull the fuses. So there seems to be a slowing of information that has still not filtered down to the dealer level. OR, their not taking the info seriously. I gotta admit I am still SHOCKED that it made THAT big of a difference. They have instructed the salespeople and mainenance dept. to NEVER put 'lot fuel' (89 octane) fuel in the Camaros when they come in.

Then she asked if I wanted to bring it in and have it looked at for general purpose. I asked if I needed to and she said that what I did is all they would have done and I would be fine but bring it in if there are any other problems.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I guess we better add this to the "Instructions to the dealer" page for when you order your car.

Great info, thanks!

Also, I think it should be noted in the OP that anyone doing this mod/fix should make sure their tank only has premium gas in it... So if you have any 87/89 octane in it at all, then you should run it down and fill it up with premium first.

Just to make it clear to everyone, ABSOLUTELY NO 87/89 OCTANE GAS!!!

That will be all
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote