View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #97
CamaroGrrl

Drives: Mad Max ~ 2SS/RS Camaro LS3/VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnsandi View Post
I have both - an '07 z06 and a '10 SS manual (well the camaro is Camarogrrl's actually).

We only have 600ish miles on the Camaro, but I have some thoughts on the comparison of both.

The Camaro is an eye catcher and generates alot of attention from the masses. The z06 generates attention among the enthusiasts that recognize it as something different from the C6.

The Camaro looks like a muscle car (and sounds like one with the muffler delete). The z06 looks like a race car.

The Camaro is fast. The z06 is blindingly fast. Besides a fairly useless 6th gear, you don't really need to ever shift the z06 for acceleration or passing, not so with the Camaro. A 5th gear pass at highway speeds really does need a downshift to be quick.

The LS7 has a "snap" to it that the LS3 lacks when you blip the throttle at rest. It sounds like a race car. With the muffler delete the Camaro sounds very nice and muscle car like. With the exhaust flapper fuse pulled on the Vette it sounds similar though more deep and resonating.

Handling is pretty close (though I don't track my car). We have a nice twisty road leading to our home in the mountains and the Camaro holds its own against the Vette. Though you can attribute some of that to the fact that the Camaro seats are vastly better than the Vette seats. More road noise and feel through the wheel in the vette, but it also likes to follow imperfections in the road more than the Camaro. All buttoned up the Camaro is an order of magnitude quieter inside than the Vette (road noise, valve train noise, etc).

Interior comfort is a wash. The vette is VERY comfortable for commuting and even long distance travel. The road noise is moderate but tolerable. It has significantly more headroom than the Camaro (with sunroof). I like that the drink holders in the vette dont obstruct access to the shifter. The radio is far better in the Camaro. The trunk on the vette (hatch area) is enormous compared with the Camaro trunk.

I really like both cars for different reasons. There is a certainty when I drive the z06 that I am very unlikely to ever pull up to a stock car that can outperform it in any capacity. No one EVER challenges me at stop lights.. ever. That 427ci engine is exotic and intoxicating and evil all in one lump.

The Camaro is dead sexy and very fun to drive and an attention getter at the moment. I wonder about that staying power though in the long run. But it cannot be beat in my eyes if you need to carry more than 2 people (we have two children that fit fine).
Yup...I have to agree with everything my hubby says.

I completely adore my SS Camaro - so much fun to drive and sounds incredible (w/ muffler delete), but the Z06 is in a whole other class - it's considerably faster and more exotic...and ABSOLUTELY NOT cheap-looking.

As many have said before me, it's really what you're looking for. I think they are different enough to choose between.

Time for some soul-searching - good luck!

CamaroGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote