View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Doc, you're spot on, but haven't really offered any insight towards an answer. As a retired ME I certainly understand the principles of physics, etc., but thought someone might have some data that they would share that might help develop a curved/straight line relationship between crank HP and wheel HP.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$. I just have found over my 40+ years of working that very few relationships are a straight line, but then again, my work experience was not in the automotive field. Just trying to better understand (if possible) my new toy.
I don't think there really can be a standard curve/straight line because there are too many variables. You've got torsional elasticity of all the various materials, frictional resistances which are a combination of efficiency of design, component tolerances, assembly tolerances, fluid viscosity, and then temperatures messing with all of that.

I've always heard that as a ball-park average you can generally assume around a 15-20% loss percentage but I've noticed in the last few years as computerized processes and synthetics have improved things that percentage has dropped to around 12-15%. For a Camaro assume 12-13% with the drivetrain completely stock.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote