View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleRS/SS View Post
I'm having the same problem with my brakes. It sounds like it's the front and the dealer told me to give them a while to brake in. If you get answers can you let us know, sounds like a common problem.

By the way I was going to get black wheels but I figure with the amount of dust my brakes leave on the wheels if I don't wash them for a couple days they turn black. What a bonus.
The 5th Gen is no different than a BMW in terms of brake dust. We have all seen the BIG BUCKS 7 series with black front wheels and dirty gray rear wheels. When brakes work, they make dust. The pads and rotors both wear away with every application of the brakes. That means you have brake pad dust and iron rotor dust collecting on the wheels. The more aggressive the pad, the better they stop, the more dust they make.

For the noise, You could try to 'bed' your pads. It has helped with the noise. Find an isolated lightly trafficked highway. At 55 MPH stand on the brakes hard down to 35 MPH, back up to 65 MPH and down to 35, back up to 75 MPH and down to 35 MPH. Now drive without using your brakes for 5 or ten miles to let them cool. This cycle builds up a considerable amount of heat to bed the pads. There are two keys to doing this successfully. The first is never come to a full stop until the brakes have cooled. The second is do not use your parking brake after the bedding and cool down. We want to avoid any possibility of pad transfer to the rotors.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote