View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Attn' GM: Please keep the Z28 alive

I haven't found thread directly about this topic yet, and with several other members chiming in, I figured I'd go out on a limb and see who we could get positive input and support from to keep this car alive and see if we could encourage GM to bring it back as soon as possible. I don't have ANY complaints with the models that have been unveiled, at all, however, it would be great for GM to Z28 back too. Please, I ask that you only add constructive comments on bringing back the Z28 and what you think it should represent. I would urge you to keep them as reasonable as possible and keep in mind of the possiblity of this car being in direct competion with a Shelby Mustang (for example: I don't think the used of carbon fiber body panels or other exotic materials is likely to happen on this car if we expect it to be affordable with the Shelby.) I just happen to think it may be encouraging for GM (assuming they roam around in here from time-to-time) to see what actual fanatics of this model think and what it would mean to them to see this nameplate come back even better than ever. Yeah, GM hasn't confirmed anything, and although 'Father has tried to keep things in perspective, with the fact that every program is being scrutinized, I feel that it's important for GM to see there are many fanatics for this model. I, personally, am not talking about making a $50K car, but something along the lines of what a Shelby is, since it's been stated it was already used as a benchmark in the past.

To me, since the SS is at the top of the pile now, it would make sense for a Z28 to be on top of that (why introduce a model that is lower in performance after the original unveiling?) It would seem reasonable to think that it isn't likely to be lighter than the SS, so let's give it more power (LSA-territory,) tune the suspension a little tighter, and maybe distinguish the exterior and interior a little from the SS. The LSA is already developed, so why can't we drop it in this car? A little intercooler modification here or there and some additional plumbing for the intercooler fluids can't be that hard. Different shocks, bushings, springs, and maybe larger diameter brakes couldn't hurt either. The tranny in the SS is the same from what I understand, so we're good there and we might need a tougher clutch, driveshaft, and half shafts, but those aren't too big a deal since GM has figured out the wheelhop problem and solved them with the ZR1 and CTS-V. I can't go into too much more detail since there is still so much unknown from the new car itself so I just tried to keep it short, unlike the rest of my post.

To sum up, I would just really like a car that I am going to be so pleased with that I'm not going to have to do too much to in order to fulfill my need for speed. Anyone can engineer a supercharger and slap it on the car and call it good, but I'd like something from GM that has all the good stuff already there, as a complete package, that would be as durable as anyone would expect to come out of the factory. I don't want to have to fuss too much with making more power if it already has it. I don't want a $50K car, I just want something that would directly compete with the Shelby (well, go faster of course.) Let's see what those of you who would LOVE to see the Z28 come back have to say and if GM is interested, at least they will have a source to tap from for suggestions and and input.

Your humble Z28 lover,
Chuck

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote