View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #22
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I can not validate any of my points as I haven't performed any scientific tests so I'm just passing along what I have collected over the years. Back to some posts back though, I'd look into an FIPK, because I don't think adding a filter will do much in the way of power.
The way I understand it is that oil is a hydrocarbon. I know that much is true as I have spent a lot of time working in major oil refineries. If the filter has oil on it, a certain amount of hydrocarbon will be released into the air and into the intake. Those hydrocarbons are detected by the sensors and cars computer tunes accordingly. No harm, just different performance. I can't validate this either, other than I have had heard the same form several people. I am by far no expert. Don't claim to be.

On that note, what is a FIPK?

To help a few people understand what some of us have said. No filter will give you better performance or more HP. However a cool air or cold air intake can give you more power. You can fit more cool air into a cubic foot of space than you can fit hot air into a cubic foot of space. So given the same rate of air flow into an engine, the cooler air will feed more air, hence more oxygen into the combustion chamber than with hot air. More oxygen= hotter combustion, more HP