View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #27
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Nice rant but I'd like to point out that GM delayed the release of the V6 M6 cars at the start of production (for 2 months) because of this very same issue. You can't sit there and realistically tell me that the engineers at GM don't know how a transmission works, nor how to shift properly?

With my first AY6, going into 2nd was notchy from the day I picked it up with 10 miles on it. That binding feeling was something I could feel shifting gears just sitting still with the car off. It just got progressively worse over time.

GM and Aisin knew there was a problem with the AY6 but they released the AY6 equipped Camaros anyhow. Go back and research all of the same issues that Toyota Tacoma drivers have been having with this same AY6 transmission. They've been dealing with it for 6 years. GM just picked the wrong transmission to stuff behind a 300+ horsepower engine.

I agree, the transmission does have its defects. Ive only had the clutch pressure plates bolts come loose (theres a TSB on this)
The gears grind randomly. And ive been driving stick for years on multiple cars including a Ferrari 360, never had a problem in any of those.
But this tranny is definitly one that is easy to use and learn on. The clutch, the way the car forgives makes it easy for beginners. My gf never drove stick in her life, let her drive the Camaro and she did great.
The tranny has its issues, but theres TSBs for it and it is covered by warranty. The car is still a great car, just a hasstle when your constantly at the dealer.
I have a list of warranty work thats need to be done to my car, sometimes I wonder why the hell did I buy this car, then I drive her, or open the garage and realize why I love her.
Its like dating a dumb but Gorgous blond, you can live past the imperfections

Oh but if your buying one, try to find a dealer with great reviews and customer service, the warranty work is not the hasstle, its getting the jackasses at the dealer to do it and to do it right.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote