View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #279
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
He got into the throttle a little too soon between the Carrosel and the next corner and I bet he puckered just a little. I was surprised at the lack of traction in the first sections of the track. But, if it was raining in one section, the track was probably wet in other areas as well. Overall, that's an awesome run for a heavy Camaro and if you subtracted an estimated 6 seconds for the wet conditions, the Z/28 is running in the midst of some fairly formidable company.
In the driver's defense, there are not many places at the Nordschleife where you can have an off without seriously damaging the car. I don't know any other track that requires the same level of commitment to get a fast lap. During my visits there I saw three cars totaled before lunch on one damp Sunday morning!

Also, those tires must be unbelievably squirrelly in such cold and damp conditions. I have to say that, on average, he maintained a high level of commitment during the lap. I agree with your assessment that the entire track was likely damp.

Some have said they should hire a hot-shoe local to drive the car. While I'd love to see Patrick Simon (he used to hold the lap record for street cars) drive the car, these people don't have the same dedication to the program that a GM employee has. I don't know how many prototypes they have running around, but they may not be able to afford crashing any at this point -- and hot shoes tend to crash every now and then.