View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #16
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Yup. The damn Arizona highways finally got me. I had a rock chip on the top of the windshield for awhile, but I pulled out of the car wash yesterday and got it back with a huge crack down the middle of it. Talked to the manager and long story short, he told me it was thermal expansions fault.

The good news is I have free windshield replacement with my insurance, no deductible.

My question though is about the HUD. I have a 2SS, which comes with it; will I still be able to see it alright after the replacement? I'm getting it done through "Safelite", and I specified through them that my car has the HUD. Should I be alright? Anybody got any experience with this?
I have no idea what Safelite does, but GM installs a different windshield on cars with HUD. If it were me, I'd want to make sure that they are using a HUD windshield. The image will be fuzzier, if they don't and would be downgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Its a reflection…….its not a special windshield.
It is a reflection and it IS a special windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
I use the app, HUD Speedometer when driving my 66 Mustang. I guess Ford used special glass 49 years ago?
I have no idea what a app, HUD speedometer is, but nobody's saying that it won't work on a regular windshield. It just works BETTER on a HUD windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Hmmm you can add HUD to a camaro without changing the windshield…

http://www.gen5diy.com/DIY_kits/HUD/

My daughters motherinlaw works for a glass shop, I asked her to check on a 2013 camaro, 2SS and a 1SS.
Yes you can and a lot of people do that, but If you have a factory equipped HUD, you have a special windshield. And if it gets broken, you would want to replace it with a HUD windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
You can have a HUD with any windshield, but if you want it to be crisp, clear and colored, you use the special glass like GM does on the Camaro. It's a fact - GM uses an expensive glass for the HUD cars. To the OP - I would try to get an OEM glass if I were you.

Why is everyone being a douchebag about this?
This^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Nobody's being a douchebag. They're just not convinced that the HUD could be any more clear on the HUD designed glass than the "regular" glass. It will work, but it's faintly more fuzzy from what I've seen.

I'm in the camp that if you get the chance to upgrade your glass to the HUD glass and you have a HUD, then use it. It actually is a sharper reflection.
I don't know that douchebag is the right word, but we clearly have some doubters on a subject that has been discussed many times over on this site.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote