View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Flynbyu

Drives: 2008 Corvette/2001 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
No. 1, in my opinion, Never let the dealer people wash or wax your car. Or at least go lurking around in the new car detail area and watch what they do.

Use a 2 bucket method to wash it. One with soap and another with clear water. Always rinse the wash mitt in the clear water before dousing into the soap. Buy a good wash mitt not the el cheap's found at many discount stores.

I prefer Mother's Products as I find them of consistent quality. My CTS has a $995 optional paint (Blue Diamond) and when I used Mothers I swear the finish improved 100%.
Btw-I insisted my salesman make sure my car was not touched, he said he complied with my wishes and ran it thru a touch-less car wash instead of having his goons wash it.

Mothers Detail Guide

I totally agree.

I use an ultra soft wool mit, and a very soapy solution. I make sure the mit is washed after every use. I use clear water to rinse the mit in between.

I use Meguiar's NXT 2.0. It's around $14 per bottle, and it makes the car look wet after you're done! The results are awesome on dark cars. I use cloth diapers to remove the wax. I also use a 3M finishing spray to wipe the car down in between waxes. To knock the dust off, I use a California Duster.

I use a Mother's Powerball and polish on the wheels and it works really well for me.

Most scratches in the clear are caused by dirty mits, or dirty chamois used to dry the car. Of course make sure to keep people away from your car if it's dusty. Running a finger across a dusty car is just as bad.

~Brian
Flynbyu is offline   Reply With Quote