View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #57
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
So I emailed Amsoil technical services and asked the following questions:

I will be installing a roller cam in my 2012 6.2L Ls3 SS camaro and Im trying to figure out which oil to use. Your website indicates Z-Rod is for older engines, are there any downsides to the zinc , etc. The car will be daily driven about 13k miles per year (85% highway), with very few, probably 3-5 track days a year.

I have read about stuck oil check valve issues, and I am trying to avoid this. Which oil should I use?

He replied with this:

Chris;

There are a couple of things to consider in your selection. The Z-Rod oil contains a high level of ZDDP (Zinc). This provides excellent anti wear, but can clog the catalytic converter over time. In addition to the anti wear additive benefit, the Z-Rod is better able to protect the engine in cases where the car is infrequently driven or only for relatively short trips (under about 20 miles), when driven.

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL:bselbrede@amsoil.com
PHONE:715-392-7101
FAX:715-392-3097

And this:

Chris;

Based on your information, I think I would use the 5W30 Signature Series Oil most of the year and maybe change to the Z-Rod for the races. The stuck oil check valve is caused by using inferior quality oil that produces sludge and deposits. The AMSOIL will avoid this problem.

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL:bselbrede@amsoil.com
PHONE:715-392-7101
FAX:715-392-3097

So i will probably do something like that, if I know im going to the track, put the Z-rod in, since theres not as much of a point to running Z-Rod year round?

I also found this pdf, comparing their oil to every other brand mentioned here. Amsoil did well, Mobil 1 didnt do so great. And according to the charts, Amsoil can go much longer without being changed, therefore making the cost worth it for the Amsoil. Im sold. The biggest thing to see, is only a couple oils did better than average in every test. Mobil 1 is good in one or two, Red line in a couple, etc.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf Its a good read.

Edit: Bored at work so ill post these
Attached Images

Last edited by vroomapunk; 11-19-2013 at 12:04 PM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote