Thread: 3.91 gears
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
I'm sure my friend will post up when he finds this thread.

The install wasn't bad at all.The GM gears comes with ring gear bolts and a new crush sleeve.We didn't need any additional parts or a "install" kit.
The diff cover seal is a reusable O ring gasket to boot!

There were no shims to be found,just a machined spacer on each side and it went rite back in no problem.We reused the bearings as they were fine.

Just need a bearing puller and a press to press the bearing on the new pinion.
That's the only special tools really needed.Torqued up the new crush sleeve with the pinion nut till it bottomed out and viola,it spun perfect,then pinned it.

I was amazed the contact pattern was absolutely perfect also reusing everything put back in it's original location.

I'll bet this has a lot to do with the gears being OEM and the superior close CNC machining tolerances of the housing.

If the bearings were to be changed there might be more steps to get it rite,can't comment on that.

Back in the day it was a nightmare getting the correct pattern with aftermarket gears in the 10 or 12 bolts rear ends.

Don't know if we got lucky or what, but this was probably the easiest gear swap on the planet.

The GM 3.91 gears are definitely making there way into my car very soon
Well.... I just finished up everything on my car today including the gears. Like motorcat stated... the gear swap is beyond easy and if one has access to a press you're golden. I will post more on my install tonight or tomorrow.

In the short.... I can definitely tell the difference in first and second gear

Sent from Apple sued Galaxy Note 2
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote