View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Great idea in theory. I would love the carbon ceramics too. The brakes are not from GM, they are from Brembo. These are the exact brakes that come from the Ferrari Enzo and I think the Bugatti. Yes they will basically last the life of the car. The problem is they don't stop any better....unless you are running them as hard as you can. In daily driving the carbon can't heat up enough to REALLY benefit. I think it was Car and Driver did a test in the August issue I think comparing the brakes on several cars. The GM cars performed well against Europe, and better than Japan. At any rate, they tested Porsche's standard brakes and the carbon ceramics and they tested nearly identical until they were REALLY pushing them. the main benefit is the fade resistance, because with brakes today, it really boils down to traction (surface and tires) and ABS. Sorry about throwing all that up, I just read the article and I am a big brake guy. My '99 Z warped the rotors in 30K miles, and it drove me nuts. My VW had 200K and I replaced the fronts just because, I actually still had some life left.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote