Thread: LS3 good to 7k?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
I agree about the "better to move." I'm not looking to make 550rwhp N/A with stock cubes. I'm shooting for about 450 with LT headers, high flow cats, catback, CAI, and a mild cam. On the dyno graphs I've seen of the LS3's, MOST mild cams make only slightly more hp/tq than the stock cams until about 5500rpm, where the stock engine starts to turn down, and the aftermarket cams continue the trend upward until around 7000. Maybe one day I'll build a 416 stroker and make 500tq at 2500rpm, but for now I'd like to keep the bottom end stock. So basically I'm just looking to keep similar power levels below 5000rpm and gain the 50-60hp above that for my trips to the strip. That's why I was wanting to know if the stock bottom end can handle the extra revs. It certainly won't spend the majority of its time there.

And I will upgrade the valvetrain with appropriate valvesprings/titanium retainers. I've read the valves on the LS3's are the hollow sodium filled, so those should be good. Thanks for the info guys!
Judging by the numbers the C6 guys are putting out on their LS3s, you should be able to hit your goal. Their experience should be a good benchmark for us. 450 whp is very realistic and, from what I remember, it's not a problem for the LS3 to rev just a little bit more to 7000 RPM.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote