View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #81
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Even as a consumer I have to agree...even though the idea is "evil salesmen", you have a life to live and mouths to feed. Same as defense attorneys..haha

The only issue that comes to mind is that the camaro and mustang both seem to attract a young and similar age bracket... I agree that 30k for 400 ponies is absolutely fantastic, STILL that is a target many of that "young bracket" cannot touch. I am a camaro lover at heart, hell I may pay MSRP, and I will pay the extra 3 or 4k maybe even 5k to get a loaded camaro with 400 ponies, sunroof, HID and the goodies..but the undecided college student or newly wed that doesnt care if he drives a camaro or mustang wont spend 33 or 34k for a great camaro, may not even spend 30k, when he can get a premium GT stang for 29 with all the "incentives" now....and you KNOW Ford will combat this vehicle any way they can...including dropping sticker to keep those "on the fence buyers". You and I both know the base V8 may hit at 29k if we are lucky, but a premium SS with 400 ponies will be more along the lines of 34-35k IMO. Do you REALLY feel that the on the fence buyer, especially in this market..with these gas prices...will dish the extra 5k? I don't believe so....you MAY get the on the fence buyer on the V6, but hell..Ford will find a way to combat that as well. I spent 3 years in sales prior to my new career choice, so I am by no means an expert of markets and sales...but GM has stated it will be in the price range of the mustang? Great, but there wont be incentives for this vehicle out of the gate, and Ford will continue to have it's own. The general population is NOT paying MSRP for the mustang regardless packets, so why with the camaro. Now dont get me wrong, I think the camaro is far superior both with interior, exterior, and performance, but your average buyer does not care....Currently in Orlando you can get a premium V8 GT loaded at 29-30 with 3,000 back....I am a camaro faithful, but if I was on the fence, I would be walking with a Mustang....and if dealers are not willing to WORK with the buyer just TAD, this including below MSRP...then I don't see sales working out to well for those dealerships...you will always have your faithfuls....but they are a small minority in the big run.
I agree for the most part. The Mustang is cheaper and has been out for four years, rebates and discounts are available. The Camaro is making its debut and it is at a disadvantage as far a rebates and demand, the price will be higher. You kind of miss the point of the word fair, the mustang as it is now, aging body, cheaply made, tons of bang for the buck is fair. The new Camaro Brand new styling, leading class in hp, performance, mpg, the list goes on, not including the few surprises we may still get. And we get all of this for a few thousand more. Camaro at msrp for the first 8 months is fair. Now the srt-8 challenger, horrible gas milage, over weight, cheap interior, cookie cutter platform, at 39k, now that is not fair. Now the Z06, which i know i cant afford, is fair compared to its comp right? So the price is fair Werther or not we can afford it or not. Now you and me have no clue what the actual MSRP is going to be, nor have we seen, driven, or know the options on the new Camaro production car. So ask anyone how can you know what a fair price is for a car that you have not seen, or driven, or even know the price of? How do you know what it is worth to you, or people in general? So if someone wants below MSRP on a car that doesn't exist yet, or price that has not been named, that person is not looking for a fair price, that person is looking for a discount, simply because he knows it is there!
Please excuse misspelled words and poor grammar
Hey Dragon I think I explained this one better! +1 for the salesmen LOL
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote