View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
If you beat on the car in 90+ degree temperatures, like drag race it, road race it, or autocross it, the stock intercooler system will have a hard time keeping intake temps down. It still has a lot of power but will not give you all 580 as the timing is retarded as mentioned above. I had the same motor in a CTS-V that I used as a daily driver and never noticed any power loss on public roads. The overall cooling configuration is better on the ZL1 than the CTS-V. I have never experienced any problems in the Camaro on public roads but do not have that many miles.

The intercooler system can be modified to improve this some, there really is no reservoir in the stock set-up and installing more fluid will help some. Putting in a bigger intercooler will help also.

I kind of think that many of the people complaining about the "serious heat soak issues" are changing pulleys and overdriving the supercharger without a compensation in the cooling department. Well, duh, think about it.

It is so easy to get astronomically crazy amounts of power out of this motor, but it works better if you balance everything and don't take big shortcuts. Now after having said that, unless you are putting it in a race environment like I mentioned above, most of the wide open throttle applications on this thing are going to be so short you will never have an issue. Even the Texas mile pretty much happens in around 30 seconds....
Well that's reassuring. Most of the driving will be street, but I do plan to autox and track (not 1/4) it. I was more concerned with it's potential when being driven on roads / daily driving.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote