View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #46
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
  • FE6 suspension package which includes thicker front and rear sway bars, a strut tower brace, toe links, rear shock mounts, monotube dampers
  • Upgraded half-shafts and wheel bearings sourced from the ZL1
  • 20-inch wheels wrapped with Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar
  • 3.91:1 rear-axle ratio
  • Close-ratio v
  • Tremec six-speed manual transmission with transmission cooler and high-flow fuel pump.

These are solid upgrades to the SS. The 3.91 with require an extra shift on some straights, but the extra shift is more than offset by the overall performance. Couple that with a close ration gear box and the 1LE is golden on track. I say this because we have run multiple variations of the gear and trannies since 2009. Give Chevrolet

The absence of a differential cooler

Improved half-shaft and bearings get

The wheels and tires are a plus from the SS but far from the ideal setup due to crash test standards and the range of ride height acceptable with out re-validating the crash testing

FE6 is another huge plus, but are not adjustable in height or damping

Four pot fronts instead of ZL1 six pots

The 1LE is a great car for the occasional HPDE. For the hardcore road course owner you get more than enough good stuff to go with your after market and OEM based upgrades.
I wonder if we would be able to transplant these parts onto our SS non 1LEs. Get the 1LE diff and have a diff cooler setup made and installed, this may be possible. I may be wrong but isn't hotter diff temps going to bring on torque management sooner than having the diff cooled with the cooler in place.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote