View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #1089
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Pete, there are only a few ways I can see another Camaro beating a ZL1 "in every measurable way":

1) Subtituting the LSA with the LS-NINE which, in and of itself, would demand a higher tag...but would contravene the "ZL1 being the mightiest Camaro EVER!" hoopla credited with the "return" of the ZL1 moniker.

2) A serious diet on a ZL1 chassis, with an LS7 as motor-vation and weight-savings initiater.

3) A diet on the soon-to-be LSA'd version. Kinda "ZL1 meets SSX"... Anytime you lose weight, you increase performance. How much performance did you think you need? And how heavy is your money belt?! We'll help you lighten that, too!

As exciting as a Z06-version Camaro would be (which is essentially what we seek, here), to copy the exact Z06 recipe with serious weight reduction and LS7 engine, I think, will seriously dilute the take-rate when all the co$t$ are factored in...and likely add serious development time and dollar$.

In the hierarchy of "Camaro-dom", the Z/28 has rarely been the biggest-ticket version...but HAS been, generally, "Best Bang for the BUCK!" for those thinking in terms of corners instead of straight-lines. Against SS/IROC/SS again, a price advantage for the Z/28 cum Z28 was present...and a weight advantage, by way of SBC vs. BBC (Gen-1/early Gen-2), and then no cladding/doodads vs. festooned with stuff (Gen-3 and -4). 1LE, remember?

IF (caps) such a beast as you describe was made available, methinks a name other than "Z/28" might be required...

For me, at least, a mid-$40s track star, preferably LS7'd, that humbles the BOSS LS is what I would be very happy with, thank you very much!

EDIT:

Of course, the above ramblings are with regard to a GM-built/backed version...

Now, if we're going outside the normal GM-built supply chain, and venturing into the realm of Aftermarket "tuner versions", things can get very interesting...very quickly...but, also, very expensively, relative to OEM substitution of "upgraded componentry". Paying "full pin" for an LS7 upgrade, for instance, over an SS-LS3, bloats the price point. A "tuned" LS3, in some n/a manner, becomes much more viable...and the OEM's mandatory requirements of certification/validation/crashability are not generally required. Potential liability issues, from light-weight engineering AND alternative/non-OEM running gear built into the final product, ARE something not exactly inconsequential for the Aftermarket to factor into final pricing. If Little Jonny or Janie piles up their re-engineered SuperMaro, and it's added-on/substituted components in any way contribute to nasty after-effects, OHOH!!

And...if it's an Aftermarket version, it WILL be named other than "Z/28"...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 09-19-2011 at 05:34 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote