View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #63
FireCracker
Banned

Drives: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Based on some of the responses, it seems like some people have a challenge with the word "DONATION" and I can understand why. Normally when thinking "DONATIONS" it conjures up pictures of folks in dire straight, either from a health stand point, loss of home, loss of primary family income earner, etc..... So to use the word donation from something as unimportant in the scheme of things as a car, could be seen as ridiculous!!! And I can understand.

With that said, I don't see helping RJ out as collecting "DONATIONS" but, more along the lines of you inviting a friend out to lunch and he can't go because he either lost his lunch money, job, whatever, the reason it doesn't matter. It wouldn't be a big deal to buy the guy lunch because you value the friend more than you do the $5.00 and would want to be able to have the opportunity to hang together. The hell with the 5 bucks.

Yes, can RJ eventually replace the car? SURE!!! Thats not the point.

1. The point here as I see it is if you look at the guy's posts, many are him taking his time to help somebody else with advice, PERIOD.

2. Will the insurance money allow him to replace his car, NO! I'm in the insurance business and they are only insured for the value of the car at the time, PERIOD. Mods are not include because unless you wrote a policy with a "stated" agreed upon value. If not, they are going to pay you whatever the depreciated value of that car is. So if lets say you owe $20,000 on your car and the value of the car is $22,000. Well your only getting $2,000 regardless if you had $100,000 in mods and gold toilet seats.

3. In RJ's case, everybody who was familiar with his thread can see that he's worked hard, saving and scrimping like we all do to make his mods. You only are willing to do that if you have a love for your car.

So to see Kaylee go up in smoke its heart wrenching for any car guy. I personally get teary eye watching the show "overhauling" because I know how much passion went into the love for the car and seeing joy in people faces when it's being revealed. In most cases the owners have home, income, etc.. but that show is made up of several car guys doing something nice for another.

So I see this as an opportunity to get passed ourselves and as a community help someone else.

So just like we'll buy lunch for a buddy and not think anything of it, just so that we can hang. I am willing to help RJ in a small way because I want to see him back to modding and help him bridge the gap. The gratification of helping out a fellow Camaro enthusiast (especially a guy like RJ) get back on the road is worth more to me than the $5.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Well said sir. I highly doubt that RJ asked for donations. Just because one of his friends decided to start up a fund letting people know they could donate if they choose to doesn't mean anything other than that. He's not "internet famous and looking for a handout," nor would he expect help.

If you would like to donate, feel free. If you don't want to donate, there's no obligation. Vroomapunk and 2SSRS have just created a channel and made a post about it, just like lawdogg may or may not have set up a thread. The reason this thread has more interest not because he's a mod but because he's an active member on the forums. I'm sure if this happened to PQ, it would get a lot more attention than if it happened to someone someone who spends a small amount of time on the forums. If money is donated, I'm sure RJ will use it to try and recover from this tragedy, but after meeting the guy face to face and chatting with him for a few days last year, there is no doubt in my mind that RJ would have asked for anything like this on his own. Stop trying to make him a villain because a friend or two did something nice for him.
FireCracker is offline   Reply With Quote