View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #59
camarosc35

Drives: 1989 Camaro RS (435+hp, 435 lb./ft)
What concerns me is the handling, the skid pad results, .88, as well as the Motor Trend video which shows that the driver had to actually prevent the car from skidding out of control during the slalom test. The essence of my '69 Camaro (Unibody helped, I bet) is that only did it look timelessly beautiful, but it had the power and superb handling. The new one seems to have downgraded the handling perhaps in favor of the independent rear wheel suspension as well as that other disappointment, the weight, 3,800 pounds worth, that is a porker, to me! Not sure, but I think the '69 was in the 3,400 hundred curb weight range. That is, there are structural limitations on this newest generation that I do not think can be addressed. I read there were two development groups working on the Camaro, the first wanted to build a completely “retro” version much like the early version Mustang and new Challenger, Lutz opted for this one. I kind of wish he went with the first team, instead. You know what? I went and tried to find some of these online and looks like the Chevy team co-opted them so all you see is this produced version, kind of proves my point. I bet the retro model would have had not only the looks but the reduced weight and superior handling to go along with it.
camarosc35 is offline   Reply With Quote