Thread: ZL1
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #28
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
HATE when this is brought up. Just because someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean they can't afford it. If you can afford a cammed SS, you can afford a ZL1. Problem is which would you be happier in. Sounds to me like the SS on the basis you want something YOU make fast versus coming fast from the factory. Only half a second and less difference in a SS and a ZL1 stock for stock. Half a second, and half the price.

Also, the ZL1 in the 10s is geared. Guess that, and slicks are considered "bolt ons." There is no mod list there either, so how is that known? To get to 10s, it takes a supercharger upgrade, gears, slicks, full exhaust, professional tuning, and great driving. A 4000 pound car does not run 10s with just bolt ons.

That's because it WAS faster. All day.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1206_2012_chevrolet_camaro_zl1_vs_2013_shelby_gt50 0/viewall.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

Yeah. A ZL1 does 12s. Professional drivers get an average of 12-12.3 stock depending on stick or auto.

The Nurburgring again. The ZR1 slammed the ZL1 by almost 30 seconds. 7:19. I guess you could say that's "seconds" but I would prefer to call it "almost a half minute". As far as ZR1s over 100k, yes. Brand new, they are. Z06s though have run 11.8- 12.0s consistently on run flats and 75 less hp. I have seen new Z06s in the upper 70s low 80s after incentives. Used with 2k miles, you can get a ZR1 for 71,499 at Carmax all day long. We have one here in Texas for 68,000 with 12k miles on it. I would gladly take that instead of a ZL1 for strictly performance issues.

Don't get caught in fanboy drama. Get what you want, and go with it. You can always make an SS better than a ZL1. You have 30 grand difference to do it. As said before, there is only .5 second difference in a SS and a ZL1. BUT, you can never make an SS.....A....ZL1....if that makes any sense.

You say an SS can be "better" than a ZL1? That would always be a matter of opinion (even then an arguable matter of opinion). Now to say faster...yes that is possible...but then again you can make ANY car faster than a ZL1 with the right upgrades. $30,000 might be a bit exaggerated. Base price 1SS vs base price ZL1 is about $23,000 difference. Then again base price 1SS still needs interior options as well as mechanical improvements to compare. I don't think there's any amount of money that would be worth investing in an SS in the "attempt" to make it "better" than a ZL1. You can't go out and buy the Performance Traction Management system that comes standard on the ZL1. You can't go out and buy the most advanced magnetorheological suspension system that most european automakers are envious of. Even if you went and found all the kit pieces to make an SS look like a ZL1, the facts of REAL Research support the aerodynamics of the ZL1 not the ZLwannabe. The car won't handle like the ZL1 or feel like the ZL1. So to say that he could make it better, is absolutely false. He could make it different but that's about all.

Oh and by the way, who determines who the professionals are here? We've got guys on this forum runing 11s BONE STOCK! Guess the pros need to take some lessons from those guys.

Last edited by Faster12; 07-17-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: More info
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote