View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Find out first if the marathon organizers are going to provide the gel packs/ water/ supplements en route: Many have tables set up every mile or two, with anything and everything you might need laid out on a table... you run by, grab whatcha want, and chow down. There will be trash cans a little further away... aim for them with your trash, but if you miss, don't sweat it: There are trash monitors standing by to get the misses... that's their job!

If the organizers are not providing that stuff, bring a couple of gel packs (they're small and easy to carry, no biggie), but more importantly, have water available. Either carry a couple of small bottles, have some stashed along the route ahead of time, or have a friend in a car (preferably a Camaro!) or on a bike carry some water for you.

As you've trained for it, if you regularly do four or five miles, and CAN do eight, you will be able to complete the half marathon... even if you need to walk partway, that's okay... many do. Not a disqualifier, not a scarlet letter of shame. Walk for a spell, then resume running!

Congrats, keep us posted: I truly admire folks who have the intensely strong willpower to train for and complete a distance running event!

I appreciate everything! I will post pictures when I finish!
I am actually running by myself as my family will be at a friends college graduation.

After reviewing the route it seems they have water stations every mile at minimum. Probably not the gel packets and I will have to carry a few..

Believe it or not I was a college football player and weighed 295 i am now down to 232ish... I run at minimum of 5+ miles a day 6 days a week. once a Week I complete a 9 mile run. I would have never thought running was for me but it is awesome.

At the same time I train completely different, I run with my mouth closed breathing only through my nose as well as I run on an empty stomach.

I am not sure if this is to my advantage or what but hey well find out!

BY The way can I run with an ipod or is that kind of a no no?
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote