View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post

Anyhow I contacted my insurance provider (allstate) and asked about any discount for having Onstar and its vehicle recovery/locator/slowdown they stated 15% discount on the premium for my area. Now of course I asked if it was off their total premium and they said yes, assuming that's right and there are no surprises later when I submit my policy.

This means depending on the area of the country and the person, a policy for 100 dollars a month would be 85 instead.

I worked for one of the big name insurance companies for Many years and I can tell you this information they gave you is false. The 15% discount is off of your Comprehensive coverage only, not your whole policy.

If you look at your current policy look for the line that says "Comprehensive" and that will be what you get the 15% discount on. Comprehensive is only your coverage for fire/theft/vandalism/etc.

Comprehensive coverage is not usually an expensive portion of the policy so this discount usually equates to only $10-$15 or so per policy period at the most. Hardly worth the $19 a month charge.

What I used to say to people about the discount is (and getting things like lojack) is its not worth it for the discount, but if you really love your particular car and you want to make sure you have it forever, those products and services are worth it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote