View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #46
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zforce View Post
First, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions on oil and change intervals (even though it was not my thread, I sure learned plenty).

Second, I like to say that I plan on changing the oil on my 2010 Camaro twice a year (spring and again in the fall) since for starters, doing your own oil change gives you the opportunity to give the car a look over and hopefully spot things that need to be taken care of before they become a problem. It's also an opportunity to know your car, inside out.

For me, the two most important things in knowing your car's condition are an oil change, and washing the car. When I slide under the car I get the chance to look over the breaks, steering mechanism and frame. When I had wash my car I insect the entire body for dings, scratches and chips.

Call it what you will, to me a car is more than just a machine to get me from point a to point b. Changing the oil and washing the car gives me the opportunity to know what is going on with the car and the condition it is in. So for that reason I will do my own oil changes and as oil is concerned, I guess I’ll be using synthetic oil, as many of your posts have good things to say.

Again thanks.
the new camaro will be coming from the factory with synthetic oil, so just stick with whatever it comes with (more than likely M1 5w-30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
What are the viscosity ratings for AMSOIL/Royal Purple? It sounds like it's rather thick, but people seem to swear by them in all sorts of engine applications (BMWs, Honda DOHC VTEC, GM LSx series, you name it).

I'm partial to Mobil 1, 5w-30 (unless GM starts to use 5w-20 like some manufacturers are doing).

I will always change my own oil, even under warranty. I can take my time, and after filling it I always take it for an easy drive around the block for all the oil to circulate, and then check the level again and add if needed - I doubt any Chevy dealer is going to go through that trouble.
viscosity ratings for amsoil/rp are the same as m1, or any other oil company,

you can get them in whatever weight you want... 5-30, 0-30, 10-30, 5-40, 10-40, 10-50, 20-50, etc.

its not just one specific weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Royal Purple certainly has a full-fledged "cult following".

However, I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil 1. It's also what GM fills it with at the factory (LS3 for sure), and it's what they recommend for the life of the vehicle.
M1 is a good oil. they also have some damn good filters to boot. and they are reasonably priced as well.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote