View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #255
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmproske View Post
What are you feeling and hearing in your transmission? Our 2ss/ls3 was built about the same time as yours

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It definately has the "notchiness" which is bearable, but certainly does not make one feel confident in the strength or quality of the trans. I hear what sounds like a noisy main bearing in the front of the transmission where the input shaft comes out. I suspect it has to do with the described SHIMMING issue. I haven't seen an exploded view of the trans so I can only assume it has a bearing at the location I am describing and if the input shaft isn't shimmed then there will be play and noise. If not it is one heck of a noisy and loose trans. When I shift there is a tendancy of the trans to simply grind at any given speed or RPM, and the clutch pedal is not firm (such as in a mechanical clutch sans hydraulics).

I have driven many old Chevy's and Fords with stick (that is what I learned on). There is absolutely NO comparison to this transmission and that of the old school clutchs with mechanical linkage such as a M21 or M22 Muncie or Ford T10 toploader.

The transmission FEELS strong but the linkage and noise is intimidating because I don't want to jump on it in fear the thing will scatter in pieces or smoke the clutch due to the sloppy clutch pedal pressure.

Just simply backing into my driveway under very conservative low speed/rpm/torque I have smelled clutch odor and I drive a stick everyday...IT ISNT ME!

It is a weak clutch system tied into the brake reservoir! I shouldnt have to put in aftermarket parts to fix a STOCK car!!! My car has 2200 miles on it and the trans feels and sounds like it has 50,000 on it of hard driving!!! I have NEVER done a burnout in the car or raced it. I have gotten on the freeway onramp rather hard just to see if the clutch would slip. It did not. The notchiness is felt in 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear.

In the old days guys would put sawdust and oil into a transmission to quiet it up and make it feel better even though it really didnt help. But that is what this trans feels like it needs to make its tolerances a bit tighter and crisper. If the Tremec builders really did put the synchros in backwards as has been reported, then SHAME on them and Chevrolet for not getting to the bottom of this and FIXING it post haste. The Camaro is helping Chevrolet get back on its feet. It would be terrible to see a transmission issue like this tear Chevy down. Especially if they know about it and are not talking. As they say...Get Er Done!!!

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote